Artist’s Public & Products Liability Insurance Explained

  • Number of Students Per workshop
  • 1 – 10
  • 11 – 15
  • 16 – 20
  • Limit of Liability
  • $20,000,000
  • $20,000,000
  • $20,000,000
  • Total Cost
  • $165.00
  • $200.00
  • $270.00

These are indications only, formal quotes subject to a fully completed application form as below.

What is it and Why you need it.

Though liability insurance is optional in most cases, it is strongly recommended for Australian artists as the likelihood of being sued for negligence is unpredictable and may be very costly. Types of liability insurance you may need to consider include:

Product liability insurance

Under the Australian Consumer Law, consumers who suffer loss or damage from your products may take you to court.

Therefore you may need cover against claims of goods (products that you sell) causing injury, death or damage. Product liability insurance covers you if any of these events happen to third parties by the failure of your product or the product you are distributing.

Public liability insurance

This covers your liability for damage to property or injury to a third party that occurs in and around your Art or Craft activities. It protects you against the financial risk of being found liable to a third party for death or injury, loss or damage of property or economic loss resulting from your negligence.

Talk to a City Rural broker today to discuss what cover is best for you.

Latest News


Artist Insurance

This insurance is available to persons who regard themselves as visual artists, painters, sculptors, drawers, ceramics crafters, artistic related photographers and related disciplines.

Australia Wide Cover

Including sales exhibitions and teaching of your visual arts and / or crafts.

Competitive And Trusted

Very Competitive Prices.

Long term APRA approved Australian Insurer.

Recommended by many of our clients.

About City Rural Insurance Brokers

City Rural Insurance Brokers in Adelaide South Australia, was established in July 1995 and over this time has developed specialist brokers in areas ranging from Artists, Painters, Commercial Motor, Market Stalls, Street Performers, Buskers, Professional Indemnity, Liability, Business, Event and Arts and Crafts Insurances for clients across Australia. Our Brokers have over 50 years of Industry experience.

Artist Insurance gives artists peace of mind knowing they are covered for unforeseen circumstances, both for themselves and for the general public. Many artists require their equipment and workshop to be insured as its often a prerequisite for their own insurance.

We are members of the Steadfast Group, which entitles our clients to additional benefits on a range of policies from Home & Contents, Private Motor and Business Pack Insurance to name a few, at no extra cost.

City Rural Insurance Brokers Pty Ltd

Street Address: 200 Greenhill Road, Eastwood SA 5063
Postal Address: PO Box 7138 Hutt Street, Adelaide South Australia 5000

Telephone: (08) 8272 7785
Interstate: 1300 887 429
Facsimile: (08) 8357 8994

Get A Quote

Public & Products Liability insurance is available for most arts activities. This policy will provide protection to you, where you have a liability at law for property damage &/or bodily injury to another person.

In order for City Rural Insurance Brokers to provide you with an Obligation Free Quote, please complete the following.

Personal Details

First Name *

Surname *

Business Name

Email *




Preferred Method of Contact: -

Postal Address

Unit / Street




Insurance Details

Period of Insurance - Date From*

Period of Insurance - Date To*

Note: Limit of Liability: $20,000,000 Public and Products Liability

Description artistic and art related business activities undertaken:

Are there any hazardous activities associated with your business?

Relevant Credentials (Diploma/Degree/Dip Ed etc):

Details of Exhibitions, Workshops / Classes per Annum

Type of Exhibition

Number of Public Exhibitions

Estimated number of attendees Per Exhibition

Type of Workshops/Classes

Number Per Workshop/Class

Number of Tutors/Entertainers

Number of Other Staff

Turnover (last 12 months)

Turnover (Estimate for next 12 months)

Do you engage Sub-Contractors and/or Service Providers?

Contractors and Subcontractors -

A contractor / subcontractor is engaged as part of an overall contract for which the insured is providing goods or services. They are people or entities who are engaged, under contract, to carry out work for an insured, usually on their behalf. They may supply plant, tools and materials to complete the work undertaken and typically have their own public liability insurance. E.g. – A lighting contractor you have engaged to supply & setup lighting for your show or a rigger setting up your equipment for a show.

General Information

Have you or anyone this policy is to cover (in the past 5 years)

Made any claim(s) on an insurer for loss or damage?

Had any insurance declined or cancelled, proposal/application rejected, renewal refused, claim rejected, special conditions or excess imposed by an insurer?

Suffered any loss or damage which would have been covered by the proposed insurance policy?

Have you or any partner(s) or director(s) of the business ever been declared bankrupt?

Ever been involved in a company or business which became insolvent or subject to any form of insolvency or administration (e.g. liquidation or receivership)?

Been convicted of any criminal offence within the past 5 years (other than minor traffic convictions)?

Been liable for any civil offence or pecuniary penalty (exceeding $5,000)?

If Yes to any of the above, please provide full details:

Contractual Liability

This policy does not cover liability in respect of Contractual liability: Any obligation assumed by You under any agreement or contract except to the extent that:

  1. the liability would have been implied by law;
  2. the liability arises from a provision in a contract for lease or real or personal property other than a provision which obliges You to effect insurance or provide indemnity in respect of the subject matter of that contract;
  3. the liability is assumed by You under a warranty of fitness or quality as regards to Your Products;
  4. the obligation is assumed under those agreement specified in the Schedule

Duty of Disclosure

In order to make an informed assessment of the risk and calculate the appropriate premium, your insurer needs information about the risk you are asking it to insure.

For this reason, before you enter into a contract of insurance, you have a duty under the Insurance Contracts Act 1984 to disclose to your insurer every matter that you know, or could reasonably be expected to know, is relevant to the insurer’s decision whether to accept the risk and, if so, on what terms. The duty also applies when you renew, extend, vary or reinstate a contract of insurance.

You do not have to disclose anything that:

  • Reduces the risk to be undertaken by the insurer;
  • Is common knowledge;
  • Your insurer knows, or in the ordinary course of its business, ought to know; or
  • If the insurer has waived your obligation to disclose.

If you do not comply with your duty of disclosure, your insurer may be entitled to reduce its liability in respect of a claim or may cancel your contract of insurance. If the non-disclosure was fraudulent, the insurer may be able to avoid (or cancel) the contract of insurance from its beginning. This would have the effect that you were never insured.

One important matter to be disclosed is the history of losses suffered by the person seeking insurance or any closely associated person or entity. As you are responsible for checking that you have made complete disclosure, we suggest that you keep an up to date record of all such losses and claims.

I have read the Duty of Disclosure above. *

© Copyright - 2015 City Rural Insurance Brokers Pty Ltd.